In the online wellness community there are mixed reviews for the effectiveness of cleanses. Some websites claim cleanses are amazing and you will lose 20 lbs and some websites claim your body doesn’t need help detoxifying and removing toxins. I am no expert, but I see no problems with helping your digestive system by removing foods that cause it stress.
The cleanse in the Negative Calorie Diet book lasts for 10 days, if you’ve ever done a cleanse you know they are difficult. This cleanse allows solid food, so supposedly it is easier to stick to. When I do try this I will probably start with 5 days and see how it goes. The cleanse consists of 3 smoothies and a soup or salad for the fourth meal. Follow along below for how to plan your own cleanse based on the guidelines in the Negative Calorie Diet book.
Step 1 – Remove the Toxins from your Diet
Everyone is exposed to toxins at some point. They are pretty much unavoidable, however the amount of toxins we are exposed to can be limited. The easiest way is to focus on eating non processed, whole foods and drinking plenty of pure water.
Step 2 – Remove the Contaminants from your Diet
- Added sugar and sweeteners
- Sugar is very addictive and leads to many health problems. Avoid adding sugar and artificial sweeteners and read labels to avoid food with sweeteners and artificial sweeteners.
- Processed foods
- Processed foods contain added sugars and all kinds of preservatives and other additives. Avoid pretty much anything in a box.
- While not everyone is sensitive to dairy, a lot of people are and don’t realize it. Try cutting out dairy and see how it makes you feel.
- Gluten can cause digestive issues in quite a few people. Try cutting out grains to see the difference in your body and how you feel.
- Hydrogenated oils
- Hydrogenated oils mean trans fat which can lower your metabolism and make your body more resistant to insulin.
- Alcohol stresses the liver and slows down metabolism, so it is best to cut it out while doing a cleanse.
- Coffee contains a lot of acid which can cause inflammation. During this cleanse try switching to green tea or espresso.
Step 3 – Prepare Yourself
To keep yourself on track, clean out the fridge and pantry. Also, tell your friends and family what you are doing so they don’t unknowingly get you off track. Weigh yourself on the first day then wait until the end to weigh yourself again.
Step 4 – Rules
- Drink 2 liters of water first thing in the morning to flush out your system and get your metabolism going.
- Drink 8 cups of water throughout the day.
- Everyday drink 3 smoothies and eat 1 solid meal of either soup or salad.
- Eat only until you feel full and satisfied.
- Don’t count calories
- Don’t eat after 8pm, meals take longer to digest this late.
- Sleep when you feel tired, it gives your body a chance to replenish and repair cells
- Don’t stay on the cleanse longer than 10 days.
After the cleanse is over ask yourself how you feel. Hopefully a lot of the cravings should be gone. Stay tuned for when I do a cleanse sometime in the next couple of weeks.